We will host our 11th annual Intellectual Property Training Institute (IPTI) in the fall of this year. Our two-week IPTI will be held in our Alexandria, Virginia office from Sunday, September 22 to Friday, October 4, 2019.
The IPTI is interactive, with lectures and hands-on workshops tailored to provide practical skills for improving U.S. patent application preparation and prosecution.
The 2019 IPTI agenda will focus on the following topics:
- Specification and Claim Drafting Skills
- Cost-Effective Strategies for Patent Prosecution, Including Strategies to Avoid and Overcome §101 Rejections
- Preparing For and Conducting USPTO Examiner Interviews
- Compacting Prosecution, Considering RCEs and Appeals, and Other Strategies for Responding to Final Rejections
- Advantages of Continuation Practice
- Post-Examination Practice, Including Appeals, Reissues and Reexaminations
- Infringement and Invalidity Analysis and Opinion Practice
- Introduction to Claim Construction and Unique Procedural Aspects of U.S. Litigation and AIA Post-Grant Review Proceedings
The IPTI is most beneficial for participants that have a basic understanding of U.S. patent law and experience drafting and/or prosecuting U.S. patent applications. Although the majority of the topics focus on patent prosecution skills and strategies, we also provide an introduction to various post-issuance topics, including patent litigation and administrative patent proceedings under the AIA, such as inter partes review (IPR) proceedings at the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). We will focus on the claim construction process and the impact that claim drafting, amendments and arguments made during prosecution may have on the construction and scope of claims during litigation and PTAB proceedings.
Detailed training materials will be provided for all participants. The two-week IPTI will also include educational outings, e.g., planned visits to the USPTO and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, as well as optional social activities.
For more information or to request a registration form, please contact us. Registration numbers will be limited in order to maximize the individual value of our 2019 IPTI.
277 S. Washington St., Suite 500
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Telephone: (703) 836-6400
Facsimile: (703) 836-2787