Sunday, September 22 – Friday, October 4, 2019
277 South Washington Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Thank you for your interest in our 11th Annual Intellectual Property Training Institute (IPTI). The IPTI will be held this fall and will take place in our main office located in historic Alexandria, Virginia.
The IPTI will be interactive, with lectures and hands-on workshops tailored to provide practical skills for improving U.S. patent application preparation and prosecution. Registration numbers will be limited in order to maximize the individual value of our 2019 IPTI.
The IPTI is most beneficial for participants that have a basic understanding of U.S. patent law and experience drafting and/or prosecuting U.S. patent applications. Although the majority of the topics focus on patent prosecution skills and strategies, we also provide an introduction to various post-issuance topics, including patent litigation and administrative patent proceedings under the AIA, such as inter partes review (IPR) proceedings at the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). We will focus on the claim construction process and the impact that claim drafting, amendments and arguments made during prosecution may have on the construction and scope of claims during litigation and PTAB proceedings.
The 2019 IPTI Agenda
- Specification and Claim Drafting Skills
- Cost-Effective Strategies For Patent Prosecution, Including Strategies to Avoid and Overcome §101 Rejections
- Preparing for and Conducting USPTO Examiner Interviews
- Compacting Prosecution, Considering RCEs and Appeals, and Other Strategies for Responding to Final Rejections
- Advantages of Continuation Practice
- Post-Examination Practice, Including Appeals, Reissues and Reexaminations
- Infringement and Invalidity Analysis and Opinion Practice
- Introduction to Claim Construction and Unique Procedural Aspects of U.S. Litigation and AIA Post-Grant Review Proceedings
Detailed training materials will be available for download for all participants from our FTP site. The two-week IPTI will also include educational outings, e.g., planned visits to the USPTO and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, as well as optional social activities.
Please take a minute to fill out Part 1 of the online registration form below.